Oxford's Historic Community Building was originally the Presbyterian Church. The stone cornerstone of this brick building was laid August 24, 1901, and the building served as the Presbyterian Church until 1976. In 1980 the building was scheduled for demolition but a group of determined citizens organized a not-for profit corporation called Oak Grove Heritage House, Inc. and purchased the building, saving it from the wrecking ball. The building is on the National and Indiana State Registers of Historic Sites and Structures and is known for its "Richardson Romanesque" style of architecture. The restored building has beautiful stained glass windows, that were made and shipped to Oxford from Germany. There is an original corkfloor in the Sunday School room.
There is a museum room and gift shop located in the building. Handmade gifts and rag rugs, woven on the large antique loom housed in the basement, along with other handmade items, are offered for sale in the gift shop. Historic artifacts, family pictures and business memorabilia donated by the community are on display in the museum.
Each year, two major fund raisers are held to help maintain this beautiful old building. A Garden Tour and Salad Luncheon is held the second Saturday of each June and a Holiday Open House and Bazaar is held the second Saturday of each November.
The building is available for community and private events. To schedule your event, contact the Heritage House by mail to PO Box 261 Oxford, IN 47971 or by phone to
Becky at 765-586-5274, Jane at 765-884-1195 or
Cindy at 765-869-5344.
Due to increased utility expenses and the cost of adequate snow removal, the Heritage House will not be available for rent for weddings and special events from November to April of each year.